1) Have you ever heard of the pedagogical model known as the ‘flipped classroom’?
2) Have you ever experimented with the ‘flipped classroom' in your EFL/ESL classes?
3) Would you like to know more about the ‘flipped classroom’?
Regardless of your replies, this post is going to discuss:
The Flipped Classroom!
What is the flipped classroom?
The flipped classroom (FC) is a style of teaching (validated by research) that – in simple terms – turns the traditional ‘lecture → homework’ on its head.
How does it work?
In a flipped classroom the traditional ‘content’ (i.e., lecture/reading) of the class is done at home prior to the class. Then during the class the traditional ‘homework’ (i.e. activities) component is done.
Why is it beneficial?
1. The FC gives students the time to review the lectures as many times as they need – allowing them to learn at their own pace.
뒤집힌 수업은 학생들이 배운 내용을 필요한 만큼 복습할 시간을 준다.
2. Classes are more efficient as the students enter the classroom with the questions and sticking points they need clarified.
어려운 문제나 질문들을 할 기회가 많아져 수업 시간을 효과적으로 활용할 수 있다
3. The FC allows more class time to be devoted to addressing questions the students may have.
수업시간 동안 학생들이 질문할 수 있는 시간이 더 많이 주어진다.
4. The FC allows more time for ‘learning while doing’ – e.g. doing activities or engaging in project-based learning etc.
학생들이 수업시간에 참여함과 동시에 배울 수 있는 환경을 조성한다.
5. The FC creates a more collaborative environment – as students can help each other with tasks.
학생들 간에 서로 도움을 주며 배울 수 있는 협력적인 환경을 조성한다.
6. The FC promotes equal learning opportunities.
동등하게 배울 수 있는 기회가 주어진다.
7. The FC frees up the teacher’s time – since you don’t need to prepare or give the same lecture 1000s of times. Just record it once and disseminate it.
강사의 시간이 좀더 여유로워 질 수 있다.
What are the caveats or downsides?
1. The FC is not ideal for young or immature learners.
뒤집힌 수업은 나이가 어린 학생들에게는 적합하지 않다.
2. The FC is not suitable for those who can’t access the lectures (or other materials) away from the classroom.
강의실 밖에서 강의나 수업 내용을 열람할 수 없는 학생들에게도 적용하기 어렵다.
3. The FC is not ideal for students who lack motivation.
목표의식이 없는 학생들에게는 적합하지 않다.
4. It might take time for teachers to write and record (or find) suitable materials.
강사가 수업 준비할 시간을 더 할애해야 할 수도 있다.
What do I need to do or have in order to implement a flipped classroom?
1. You are going to need a good set of materials that your students can access away from the classroom. And remember, a flipped classroom does not mean there are no activities to be done at home. If you think an activity is needed to supplement the video/reading – then give it.
학생들이 강의실 밖에서 열람할 수 있는 효과적인 영상이나 프린트 물 등의 수업 자료를 준비해야 한다.
2. You are going to have to have a plan for what classroom activities can supplement and enrich the learning the students are doing at home. (Think reinforcing and complementing!)
학생들이 효과적으로 강의 내용을 습득할 수 있는 보충 자료가 필요하다.
3. You are going to have to make sure the students know what the flipped classroom is for.
뒤집힌 수업이 무엇이며 어떤 효과가 있는지 학생들을 이해시켜야 한다.
4. You might have to get the parents involved – especially with younger or less motivated students.
나이가 어리거나 목표의식이 뚜렷하지 않은 학생들에게는 부모님들의 참여가 필요할 수도 있다.
These guys offer some practical advice! (And it only takes 4:40)